Food. Music. Art. OMG it was so amazing that 3 nights wasn’t enough. After 3 nights, we decided we had to spend 3 more nights. And even then, we didn’t want to leave!
- The food!! We ate ourselves silly – in fact, our goal was to eat as many meals as possible every day so we could sample as many restaurants as possible. Our favorite meal was at Felix’s (charbroiled oysters!), although we also had great meals at Deanies (OMG BBQ shrimp!) 801 Royal (seafood nachos to die for), NOLA (beef cheeks), Parkway (poboys & fried pickles), and pretty much everywhere else we ate.
- Beignets! We ate beignets every day. Literally. Every single day. Our favorite was New Orleans Famous Beignets and Coffee – hands down.The beignets were lighter & crispier and unlike Cafe Du Monde, Cafe Beignet, and Morning Call, they weren’t puffy or doughy.
- The music!! We spent most of our days wandering around listening to music & dancing in the streets.
- Street performers: musicians, artists, magicians, statues, dancers – the kids loved them all. Neela made a bunch of sticky notes saying things like, “I love your music” and “I love your performance” and handed them out to the acts she liked. She even tried to earn some money herself by setting a cup on the sidewalk (with a sign that said, “muny goes here”) and sang while Esa danced.
- Morning Call: the beignets were better at New Orleans Famous Beignets, but Morning Call had live jazz. Plus, it’s located in City Park so the kids could play and climb trees while we enjoyed the music.
- The Christmas tree lighting ceremony: complete with facepainting, balloon animals, christmas carols, and toy soldiers on stilts. Strange, but festive!
- Hot tubbing: we set the kids up with a movie in the recreation room while we relaxed in the hot tub. One night, we let the kids watch two movies while we soaked for 4 hours and chatted with our new friend Eddie who’s visiting from France.
I can’t believe that we almost decided to skip New Orleans because we were afraid it wasn’t kid-friendly enough. That would’ve been a huge MISS!